Thursday, July 14, 2016

Thai massage

I've been wanting to learn Thai massage since becoming a certified massage therapist in 2009. I received my first Thai massage at Pura Vida Spa in Costa Rica in 2012, and I've been even more curious since! I finally made the move, and I registered to take a 5-day Basic Thai Massage course at The Thai Institute of Healing Arts in Westminister, Colorado in November this year! 



Thai massage is essentially assisted yoga with the client completely passive. The client remains fully clothed for the session. The massage is performed on a mat instead of a table to allow for more leverage and pressure. Unlike traditional massage, there is no lotion or oil used in Thai massage because instead of rubbing on muscles, the body is compressed, pulled, stretched and rocked. I would definitely say Thai massage is more energizing and rigorous than a traditional massage. A full Thai massage session typically lasts two hours. 




I'm excited to be able to share this modality with you after November! 

No comments:

Post a Comment